Readers are Leaders!
The 7 Habits of Happy Kids
1. Be Proactive * You’re in Charge
- Know your library day.
- Know your AR goal.
- Read every night without being reminded.
- LOVE to read!
2. Begin with the end in mind * Have a Plan
- Make your AR goal!
- How will you achieve it?
- Read books that challenge you and help you to grow.
3. Put First Things First * Work First, Then Play
- Homework first, play later.
- Make reading a priority.
4. Think Win-Win * Everyone Can Win
- Be consistent in your independent reading, your skills will improve!
- Read books that make you a better friend.
5. Seek First to Understand, Then to Be Understood * Listen Before you Speak
- Read books that teach you about other cultures.
- Let books help you to see things from other’s viewpoints.
6. Synergize * Together Is Better
- Enjoy sharing your ideas about books, and listening to other’s ideas.
7. Sharpen the Saw * Balance Feels Best
- Read different genres of books.
- Read to develop your hobbies and interests.
Be sure to contact me if you have any further questions: Katie Coccaro (Librarian)
The library at Trailside Elementray School has books for everyone! There are thousands of books to choose from. Students in kindergarten to fifth grade visit the library each week. Kindergarten through second grade students may check out one book each week. If students are ready for a new book before library day arrives, they may come in to check in the book they’ve completed, and check out a new book. This may be done in the morning before school starts, or during their lunch recess. Third, fourth and fifth graders may check out two books at a time. One book should be a book choice that will help them achieve their AR goal, and the second book may be anything they choose.
There are opportunities for students to read, research, and work on multimedia projects.